Thursday, April 29, 2010

Easter is long gone...

but there's a few things I wanted to jot down about it. While it was fun witnessing Maren's reaction to getting Bendaroos in her basket, making our very first turkey, coloring eggs, and having Kirk's parents with us to celebrate Easter, the thing I want to remember most is my teaching opportunity as a mother about Christ and the resurrection. You see, Kirk's grandmother Ethel passed away at the beginning of March and we were able to attend her funeral in Idaho. Kirk and I did our best to explain to Maren (Jesse's still a little young to grasp it) all about what happened to Grandma Ethel, where she was going, and how we would get to see her again. When I told her that she had died - Maren said with a sad voice "but I really love to be with her" and gave me a big hug. I was worried that she wouldn't even know who I was talking about. Grandma had been living in California at the time of her death and the kids really haven't been able to see her too much. Luckily, we took a short trip to Cali in January and got to see her and visit with her for awhile. I was so impressed that Maren knew right away who I was talking about. I guess Grandma Ethel is the type of person that is hard to forget. Such a happy person, and always smiling.

Along with that it seems like there were a lot of talks during conference about teaching your children. One such opportunity came when Kirk was planning a post-Easter activity for the primary kids in our ward. He had pulled out a large picture from our closet of Jesus with a crown of thorns. The caption reads "greater love hath no man than this". The picture was out in the living room all day before the activity started. I was neglecting the kids a bit trying to print some things out for Kirk and Maren was being a little grumpy. She finally came into my room and said "do you know why I'm sad?". I asked why, and she replied "I'm sad because of that picture of Jesus". I thought back to Elder Bednar's talk (one of the few that I actually heard in it's entirety), and knew I had an opportunity to teach and bear my testimony of the Living Christ. I can't tell you how grateful I am for just that - my testimony - and so glad I have little ones to share it with.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

So tender........cw