The last two days have been crappy.... literally. Effective potty training kind of flies out the window when you have a toddler with diarrhea who refuses to wear a diaper or pull-up. Needless to say, we've spent a lot of time in bathroom and cleaning up messes. I can't help but reflect on leaving Maren unattended with the cake batter. We all know we're not supposed to eat raw eggs right? I swear they didn't have that rule when I was a kid. What's worse: exposing my child to food borne illnesses, or depriving her of all the delicious dough eating that I experienced as a child? That's a toss up.
So I go to make an important phone call yesterday, one of those ones where you have to wait in the phone tree for who knows how long. Attempt 1 was thwarted as I rush Maren from the kitchen table into to the bathroom. Pooh streaming down her leg, and mine I might add. Second attempt, I thought I had everything squared away. Maren was already sitting on her potty eating a sucker. I make it through the phone tree to an actual human voice, then Maren starts calling for me from the bathroom. Not wanting her to walk away from the potty without being wiped, I quickly open the bathroom door only to find it catch on her big toe. The chaos begins, pooh, sucker juice, and now a bloody toe smear the floor. I stick the sucker back in her mouth and quickly finish my phone call. Another bad mom moment. (Not to be confused with the time I accidentally put diaper ointment on her toothbrush, or the time I wasn't paying attention and she carved little drawings into our leather couches.) So now you can all feel better about yourselves.
Hopefully all the "good mom" moments will cancel out the bad ones. I better end this post so I can be a good mom and go help wipe.
3 comments:
Marcy, I've had many "bad mom moments." Like the time that Brooklyn stuck a pill up her nose and we couldn't get it out and I yelled at her because I was so scared we would never get it out. The time when I forgot Gracie was doing a #2 and I got in the shower while she sat on the dang toilet for 45 minutes waiting for me to wipe. It happens. There are lots more good mom moments than bad. You just feel horrible when the bad mom moments happen. I hope Maren is feeling better. I let my kids eat the dough but I tell them that they could get very sick and they always tell me they don't care. Oh well.
Marcy, Don't you worry, the diaper ointment one, that was pretty bad, but nothing to lose sleep over. Hello! I'm the one whos child dropped from the shopping cart onto her head in her car seat! Or remember when Lili ate 5 safety pins! I think we all have those moments and I bet our moms had them too. We just don't remember them.
This post and these comments are making me chuckle right out loud. Roma is asleep on my lap and I'm chuckling her awake. Oh man, kids are tough! Period. I'm sorry about your diarrhea adventures. You are a good mom. Sh!t happens. Or crap whatever.
Post a Comment