Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Potty Training Tips & Tricks

So I would say that Maren is pretty well potty trained. She's been wearing big girl panties since mid July. We knew she was ready when her diapers were just flat out bugging her. One night she wanted to put on the panties and that was it, she hasn't worn a diaper since. We still have to coerce her to go and if she holds it too long she always ends up going a little bit before she gets to the bathroom. If we can just get her into the bathroom she goes just fine. We have to get pretty creative sometimes. Here's what has worked:

The potty timer - Kirk and Maren picked out a timer together at the store and I would set it for every 2 hours. When it went off, it was like a big celebration and we would run to the potty.

Potty treats - from gummy vitamins (he, he, he) to little suckers, to M&Ms. I usually have to show her first to bribe her.

Boingy, Boingy - (Kirk's strategy) basically lifting her up and down like she is bouncing all the way to the bathroom.

Horsey - not your typical horsey ride. This consists of using vacuum attachments as pretend horses that we ride into the bathroom.

2 potty chairs - one high tech, singing toddler potty, and one Elmo seat cover for the big toilet. (Having 2 options increases the chances of her picking one.)

It's been interesting and at times exhausting, but our efforts have paid off.


Favorite potty training moments:

Maren sitting on the toilet looking at a Forbes magazine (Hmmm.... wonder where she gets that?)

Maren: "Bye pooh, love you" (as she flushes)

Kirk bribing Maren to use the outhouse by telling her she could go look at the pooh.

Maren: "Wow! Big worm!"




Such a big girl. Man I love those curls!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

That is so... cute! Congrats on the potty training. It's so nice when you're done. :) Heidi

Heidi said...

That is so... cute! Congrats on the potty training. It's so nice when you're done. :) Heidi

Anonymous said...

Marcy,
Serously so funny. I have another trick. Nikki did this with Christian [he is almost 3]. The neighbor took care of him for a few hours and her son [same age as Christian] is potty trained. So Nikki said "So why don't you train Christian while I am gone" and she did. Christian has not worn a diaper since the neighbor tended him. cw

Jodie T Photography said...

Marcy - that is hilarious! Maren is beautiful and she has wonderful parents.

Kimberly said...

It's so funny what kids will say. I'll have to refer back to your blog for tips when we start on Jane in another year- it's really not that far off. I hope you're doing well Marcy and we're excited to see you guys in a couple months.