Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Happy Pelviversary!

Exactly one year ago I was lying in a hospital bed with a broken pelvis doped up on morphine. Can I just tell you that it was way beyond thee worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I was a little sarcastic about everything, but those were rough times. When the paramedics lifted me off the pavement from the sheet onto the stretcher I felt my pelvis collapse into itself. I remember accidentally grabbing onto one of the techs boobs while they lifted me on to the cat scan table because I just needed something to clench. I apologized (it was okay - I worked in that department for 7 years and I knew her well) to which the other male tech replied "lucky". I had to be lifted 3 more times until I was finally in my hospital room - it was torture.
Check out this cool image of my CT scan
A physical therapist got me out of bed the very next day. I made it to the doorway in my walker and almost passed out. They had to wheel me back to bed on one of those rolling toilet seats. The drugs made me itch, but not as much as the dirt and gravel that were still on the original sheet underneath me. Kirk gave me a shower on my rolling toilet while I tried not to vomit, he brought me the kids, the breast pump, and encouraging words. He was a trooper, but I think even he shed a tear or two.

Just one day after I got home from the hospital my sister got married at the top of Mount McKinnon. I was so disappointed that I couldn't be their designated photographer. On the way up I was drinking some water and some went down the wrong tube which sent me into a coughing fit. It was awful, I couldn't stop and with every cough I could feel my bones grinding against each other. The grinding lasted for about 5 weeks when the bones finally started sticking together. It was such a weird sensation. These are a few pictures of the wedding:

This is my grandpa helping me out of the car, I look like I could be his dateMe and my beautiful sisThe happy couple
As crazy as that time was, looking back it almost seems surreal like it never really happened. Sure I have a few extra pains here and there to jog my memory, but the saying is true that time really does heal. I've come out of it a much stronger person in all aspects.

What am I doing to celebrate? I can think of a few things that require a pelvis :) (sorry, had to throw that out there).

3 comments:

concon said...

Congratulations dear Marcy the Brave! I am so proud of your courage and determindation. It still is painful for me to even think about and I didn't even get hurt. Love you so!!!

cw said...

This post made me cry. The memory has not faded for me. I can sstill see you in that ER room.
But you are a marvel and a wonder. Love you Marcy, cw

Brooke said...

Wow Marcy, you are amazing. I'm so glad you came out of all of that OK. I can't even imagine how hard that must've been, especially with the two little ones. Happy pelviversary!