It's kind of surreal and definitely a reality check on how much I had taken for granted (walking, going the bathroom, showering, and especially just being a mom). On day three post accident, I am optimistic. I know it is going to be a long hard road to recovery, but I will get stronger and better every day that passes. Kirk and I are so thankful and so amazed at the outpouring of love, service and prayers in our behalf. We are so blessed. It is likely that I will be going home tomorrow, but the house will be fully equipped with a wheelchair, walker, toilet riser, shower chair, and even a hospital bed. I will be like a true grandma. Life is going to be interesting for awhile, but since I will be spending a fair amount of time in bed, I will try to post about my progress. Baby steps, baby steps...
Thursday, August 07, 2008
Marcy vs Car
I think the actual winner was the pavement. So yeah, if you haven't heard, I was hit by a car on Tuesday morning while riding my bike. Pretty crazy! Today marks my 3rd day in an unexpected trip to the hospital. To make a long story short: I was coming down 40th just past the Dee Events Center when a lady coming the opposite direction didn't see me and turned left. Even though she was going super slow, she still caught the back end of my bike. The impact was just enough to throw me off my bike. I landed pretty hard on the right side of my body and could tell I had suffered a little more than road rash. There were lots of people out that morning, and plenty of witnesses to help, but unfortunately I couldn't get up. The paramedics were called and I was taken a short jaunt (phew!) down to McKay Dee. After a few x-rays and a CT scan, it was determined that I had sustained 3 fractures to my pelvis. I was so lucky that I didn't have any internal, or head injuries (my helmet is pretty messed up). Thankfully my fractures are stable so no surgery is required, just a lot of pain and patience.
It's kind of surreal and definitely a reality check on how much I had taken for granted (walking, going the bathroom, showering, and especially just being a mom). On day three post accident, I am optimistic. I know it is going to be a long hard road to recovery, but I will get stronger and better every day that passes. Kirk and I are so thankful and so amazed at the outpouring of love, service and prayers in our behalf. We are so blessed. It is likely that I will be going home tomorrow, but the house will be fully equipped with a wheelchair, walker, toilet riser, shower chair, and even a hospital bed. I will be like a true grandma. Life is going to be interesting for awhile, but since I will be spending a fair amount of time in bed, I will try to post about my progress. Baby steps, baby steps...


It's kind of surreal and definitely a reality check on how much I had taken for granted (walking, going the bathroom, showering, and especially just being a mom). On day three post accident, I am optimistic. I know it is going to be a long hard road to recovery, but I will get stronger and better every day that passes. Kirk and I are so thankful and so amazed at the outpouring of love, service and prayers in our behalf. We are so blessed. It is likely that I will be going home tomorrow, but the house will be fully equipped with a wheelchair, walker, toilet riser, shower chair, and even a hospital bed. I will be like a true grandma. Life is going to be interesting for awhile, but since I will be spending a fair amount of time in bed, I will try to post about my progress. Baby steps, baby steps...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That is crazy, it made me nervous to get on my bike today, I couldn't stop thinking about getting hit by a car the whole ride.
It's good to see that you are in good spirits and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Let me know if there is anything Brooke and I can do to help.
I heard the news from Cheryl. Man, I am so sorry. That's gotta hurt so bad! It's good to see you are recovering and no serious serious injuries. we are thinking of you. Hope you get better soon. Heidi
Marcy-
I feel so bad...now I am a little nervous to ride my bike too! I hope you recover quickly. I work here in the hospital, so if you need and help/supplies after you go home, really let me know and I can surely help you out.
Good luck-
Megan
Oh you poor thing! Scott and I hope you have quick recovery. Especially since you have 2 little ones. I've been riding my bike a lot with my girls and I told them about what happended to you and how we really have to watch out for cars because they don't watch out for you. Get better!
Oh Marcy, good to see you are up and blogging. Phew! We are so sorry to hear about your accident. If you need anything please call us!! P.S. On the bright side, those scars are pretty sporty!!
Holy moly marc-
That is surreal! We've been thinking a lot about you and are praying for a fast recovery!
I actually just bought my 1st road bike Saturday.I'm excited but yikes! Talk to you soon.
Marcy,
Nice wound trophies on your body.
I was kind of hoping you would post your x-rays. It was so scary to hear you had your accident, but a relief to see you and know you were OK. I thought about you my whole trip, and in honor of you I did not get on a bike. But I did hike my "pelvis" off. I will look forward to a new update on your blog with a picutre of you in the upright position. Love Ya, cw
Post a Comment