Since I went a little early with my other two children I fully expected to have Miles before October. I was wrong and it was driving me crazy! I didn’t want to get started so I tried to keep myself busy with projects. I cleaned, sewed, took my kids on outings, made freezer meals etc. and tried to wait patiently. At my last appointment I was already 4 cm dilated and my doctor told me I would probably deliver in a few days. A few days turned into a week, and I became a woman on a mission trying to get things going. So funny all the old wives tales – I did them all.
Finally on Tuesday my contractions started picking up but they were super inconsistent. I hung out with my mom all day and she convinced me to leave the kids at her house just in case. So I went home and met Kirk. We drove up to the grocery store and bought some castor oil. I only took 1 tbsp because I was scared and didn’t want to be sick. Then we headed up the Beus trailhead for a hike. It was such a lovely evening and nice to go on a hike without the kids for a change.
The hike didn’t change much labor wise so we watched a movie and went to bed. My mom must have a sixth sense of oncoming labor because I started having contractions about 3 to 5 minutes apart at around 1:30 am. 2:30 rolls around and I wake up Kirk. We stick around the house for awhile, I take a bath and sit in the massage chair and try to sleep a little in between. At 5:00 we decide to head over to the hospital. I was only about 5 cm but I actually felt pretty good so I decided to wait on getting any pain relief.
I had a feeling that once the doctor broke my water that things would move really fast so he came in around 7:00 and broke my water – I was still only 5 cm. I planned on walking around for a bit, but as soon as my water broke my labor intensified dramatically. So fast and so strong. At 7:30 I needed some type of relief. Kirk had the nurse check me before I got anything and I was already 8 ½ cm. I didn’t care how far I was, I wanted something to help me get through the contractions. Unfortunately the anesthesiologist was tied up in a c-section and wouldn’t be able to give me an epidural for another 45 min. I wanted to cry but knew I would be okay. The nurse gave me some drugs in an IV to take the edge off and it helped a little but the contractions were still very intense and it wore off pretty quickly.
My doctor showed up shortly thereafter and I was close to fully dilated. He wanted me to push, but I didn’t have the urge yet and it was too painful to do so. We waited for twenty minutes or so but I couldn’t really do anything, so my doctor went back to his office and said he would come back when I felt like pushing. I felt a little abandoned and frustrated. Soon after he left I could feel a slight sensation to push, but the nurse was telling me not too. After a few contractions, I told the nurse to get the anesthesiologist in the room. He came in and gave me an epidural while I was trying not to push. It was awkward and unnecessary, but to be honest once it kicked in it was heavenly. Then we just had to wait for the doctor to come back. He came back about 45 min. later and I pushed little Miles out in 3 pushes. Once again, Kirk assisted in the delivery. Very cool.
I felt pretty good about how I did considering the circumstances. Frustrated with certain aspects, but the important thing is, is that Miles is here safe and sound. I’m glad he waited until October to be born (best month ever!!), and he wanted to follow suit with his siblings. Maren’s birthday is on the 8th, Jesse’s on the 7th and now Miles on the 6th. It will make it easy for us to remember. I forgot how much I love having a newborn – despite feeling like a zombie. It is a wonderful feeling to enjoy the fruit of my labor!
4 comments:
Good work Marcy! He looks perfect! It's funny how even giving birth is completely different for each kid.
Marcy Marcy. . .Labor stories always give me anxiety/pain. You are a star. Nice job. I totally vote for the epidural. It's so brink of death otherwise. yowza. He is Beautiful. SO happy for you guys. Congrats. I wish we were close...and saw each other more. .seriously. Hope all is well. Bre
Wonderful post.
Wonderful baby.
Wonderful mom...
Congrats!!!
I loved reading the detailed story! You are one tough mama. He is such a sweet boy. I just watched the slide show you sent a minute ago and LOVED all the pictures. Congrats again!
Post a Comment