Saturday, May 16, 2009

13.1

The results are in: Marcy 2:01.58. Kirk DNS (did not start). What is it with us Johnsons getting injured the week before events?! Kirk tore his meniscus playing indoor soccer just a week before the race. It's not a bad tear and will probably heal without surgery, but running is out until the inflammation and popping ease up. It was kind of nice though having his support at the finish line with the kids and some of my familia. I'm utterly amazed at myself (but it still would have been nice to just skim under that 2 hr mark). My best long runs outdoor have been around a 10 minute mile or more and I've had a fair amount of residual pelvic pain. I can't believe how good I felt. I feel strong and accomplished!

Here's some stuff I've learned in the past 3 months about running:
  • Shorty shorts make you run faster
  • White legs can throw off your opponents and blind unsuspecting drivers
  • Bob Marley is not good running music - nor are podcasts
  • My sports bra makes a good compartment for misc. items (gloves, hanky, hats), there's plenty of room in there
  • Big Ipods stop working in 20 degree temperatures - thanks Dad for the shuffle!
  • Shoes (and size) matters!
  • Don't play indoor soccer while training for a half marathon :)
  • Keith Barton frequents the Ogden Marathon (I don't know if it's thee Keith Barton, but I've seen his name a few times on milliseconds)
  • Long runs wreak havoc on my digestive system and make me feel like I have swine flu
  • Don't use a new self tanning lotion the day before the race
  • If I can do it, you can do it

Summer is just beginning and I'm tossing around the idea of just going for a full marathon. Maybe I'll rethink that idea tomorrow when I need to get out my walker.

Happy Trails! And congrats to all my friends and family who raced today!




7 comments:

Sharilyn said...

GO Marcy!!! What an amazing accomplishment following your accident. You are inspiring. Love Ya and I'm SO proud of you, Sis!!!

Kendrick and Hailey said...

Way to go Marcy! I look up to you and Kirk so much... you're such an amazing couple with so many great accomplishments.:)

Kimberly said...

Way to go Marcy! Pretty soon you'll be doing the whole thing. I was laughing so hard about Maren calling Kirk "kirkle". We were happy to hear your kids will carry the name on for us. I love the mustache pictures too. You never know- it may come back in style.

Meg said...

Yeah Marcy!! I am so proud of you! I am convinced I got the swine flu at the port-o-johns at the start, cause I frequented them thru the rest of the race. It wasa good to see you! Good Job!
Meg

Breona said...

You are AWESOME marcy! I want to run a marathon too. Are you still thinking that you should? what one is there this fall. Just the st George? I will call you. I love the pics and the list of running "advice". Your funny!

Colleen said...

Marcy,
This post made me laugh and cry. I am so proud. You've come a long way since we saw you in that hospital bed with a broken hip. Your list is hilarious, but the picture I loved is you at the finish line. Way to go!!!!!
Proud......
Add to your list....If you are marathoning away from home...dont get a room on the second floor at the hotel unless there is an elevator.

Carlson Family said...

You are AWESOME! You truly are amazing. I'm real proud of you and I think you just inspired me to do another half marathon this Oct. I really liked your advice column. I'll remember it for when I do my next one.