Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The "Formula"

Kirk and I are doing a little mythbusting. Apparently a guy Kirk works with, we'll call him Cowboy, has a formula to determine the sex of any baby. Cowboy was given this formula more than 30 years ago and has won many a beer. Here it is:

Age of mother at conception +
Age of father at conception
Add 1 if the mother has a birthday during the pregnancy
Add 1 if the father has a birthday during the pregnancy
And finally add 1 if the new year passes during the pregnancy

If the number is even the baby should be a boy
If the number is odd the baby should be a girl

Cowboy's formula worked for both our kids and several family members. He says that the only time it hasn't worked is if conception or birth was close to the aforementioned b-days/new year. Kirk is bound and determined to debunk the theory - so let us know what you find. Lunch is on the table - courtesy of Cowboy.

10 comments:

Brooke said...

MYTH BUSTED...
Both of my kids were wrong according to the formula. Hailee wasn't near any birthday's or the new year. We found out we were pregnant with Jake on New Years Eve, so in theory, that could have messed it up, but I'd say it's a bunch of hullabaloo. Sorry Cowboy.

Carlson Family said...

That is very interesting. Never heard of this formula. I actually know what day Gracie was conceived so maybe I will see if this formula works.

Breona said...

Formulas and cowboys? I lost the math part of my brain due to kids...Hullabaloo is a good word.

us said...

The prediction says the Sparks' are having a boy. We'll find out next week and let you know...

Veronica Reeve said...

It worked for Lili, but not for Sophie. But she was born on January 5th...is that supposed to mess it up? This Cowboy better get this trademarked...he's on to something! ;)

havensmama said...

Well I'll be darn... cowboy.... it worked for me. Sorry Kirk no luck helping you debunk his theory on our end.

Kendrick and Hailey said...

He was wrong for us! I, like Kirk am determined to prove things like that wrong... hence proving my co worker wrong about the "ring" test for determining the sex of the baby. I do need to say though that I found out I was pregnant with Jake on my birthday.

Kendrick and Hailey said...

Oh wait... I forgot to add an extra one for the new year. He was right... Haha:)

Jodie T Photography said...

Wow, that is weird. Both of my kids were right according to the formula.

Sharilyn said...

And I am the exception to every rule and formula. :P I guess three of the four were just too close to the new year/or our birthdays to have it calculate "right" for us.