Tuesday, February 26, 2013

LOVE Notes

I'm glad that amid the long and dreary winter, we at least have Valentine's Day.  I changed it up a little this year and tried to hide a treat with a love note every day for my kids until Valentine's Day.  When they found their little treasures, they would hang the note up on their door.  Maren would even make sure she brought her note home with her if she found it in her lunch bag.  I can't really take credit for the idea though (Pinterest).  I guess it does have some value besides wasting my time.
I wanted to make a fancy dinner on Valentine's Day, but I was busy putting together Maren's Valentine party for school so decorating the kitchen was as far as we got.  The kids pasted hearts all over and Maren helped set up a fancy table.  I was relieved when Kirk called and offered to bring home a pizza, including a special gluten free one for me (which was quite tasty!).  It was a little less than romantic, but I tried to make it fun even though my mind was elsewhere.

I was preparing to go to my cousin Scott and his wife Shaneil's funeral the very next day. The circumstances surrounding their untimely deaths are hard to understand.  It's hard for anyone to completely understand a murder/suicide especially when four young kids are left without their parents.  But as a speaker quoted in Sacrament meeting on Sunday "every dark cloud has a silver lining", I can attest that miracles have come out of this tragic event.
Everyone who knew them and many in the community were touched by the level of forgiveness and love showed by the families.  Scott and Shaneil's oldest daughter and my cousin Robby came up with the idea to do a "HEART attack" to their home and encouraged everyone to come and share a message.  This is what the house looked like the day of the funeral:
I love the quote "I have decided to stick with love because hate is too great a burden to bear" Martin Luther King.  It was such a touching experience to witness the outpouring of LOVE showed to these families.  I know for the families that the pain will always be there to some extent, but I'm glad that they can start to heal because they have chosen love and forgiveness.

...................................................................................................................................................................

We drove straight from Price down to Saint George to enjoy the sun and perk us up a little bit.


We spent most of the time hanging out at the park, just because we could.



And mostly felt thankful that we have each other; forever.

No comments: