Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Just Jesse

Sorry for the lack of posting lately, but as you can imagine, it's hard to justify blogging when the house is a mess and I really need a nap. I wanted to share a brief summary of how this little guy came into the world. So, for you guys who hate this birth story stuff, skip to the pictures.

Over conference weekend I was having lots of false labor. Finally on Sunday evening, my contractions seems to be a little more regular, but then they would go away for an hour or so. I was getting frustrated, because I would get all hyped up and then they would go away.

Anyway, by Sunday night we decided we ought to have Maren stay the night at my parents, just in case. It was a good call because my water broke at 3:30 in the morning. Since I wasn't contracting a ton we hung around the house for awhile and went to the hospital at about 5:00.

With all the false labor I'd been having over the last few days, I was sure that I would be pretty far along, but I was only 4 cm. At around 7:00 my contractions went from every few minutes to every minute and a half with only 15 seconds in between. It was insane! I was hoping to have a natural birth, so after an hour of hard labor I had the nurse check me. Blast! I was only 5 cm. With Maren, I got to hospital at 6 cm - but this was completely different. At this point of sweating profusely, vomiting and being unable to focus, I told Kirk that I wanted an epidural. Even though I had prepared well, I told him that I wouldn't regret it and I felt good about it. So we called the nurse back in, and literally within 1 minute the anesthesiologist was there.

There was no stopping this moving engine! My contractions stayed pretty constant, but slowed to 2 minutes apart. I could still feel each contraction through my abdomen, but my back and hips were numb (which was where it hurt the worst). An hour after I got the epidural, I was already 9 cm and almost ready to push. I couldn't believe it, only an hour! With Maren it was more like 8 hours to go from 7 cm to 10 cm. At about 9:15 I got the okay to push and it wasn't long before the little guy was out and placed on my chest. Kirk even got to assist in the delivery and help ease little Jesse's head and body out. It was amazing!

I only had to have one stitch. Despite having a bad cold and equilibrium issues, recovery has been way better and faster. I even managed to ride my bike a few days ago. Having babies is an amazing experience. I can't believe my body helped make this perfect little baby.

The family is doing well. We are feeling a little old school now, or rather old, I guess I should say. Oh well, such is life. Enjoy the pictures!












7 comments:

hailey said...

Marcy he is the cutest little boy! That is saying a lot for me to compliment on a new born since I usually think they look like wrinkly old men:) I'm so glad you are doing well and recovering quickly. Love you!

Veronica Reeve said...

Marcy, what a handsome little guy. We need to come and meet him! I can't believe you've been biking already. WOW!!! I love hearing the birth story. :)

Donahoe Family said...

Kirk and Marcy,
Dayt told me you had your little guy so I had to check out the pics - adorable! He is definately so sweet! He "kinda" makes me think that the newborn thing might be fun again - don't tell my mom!
Congrats!
Trish

havensmama said...

I love that I finally get to see him with his eyes open!! I will have to come over again real soon cause he is so tiny and sweet and these pics make me want to hold him. Anytime you need a break just let me know!!

Jodie T Photography said...

Oh Marcy, he is so beautiful!!! You are such a great mom. I have always thought that Maren is wonderful and so sweet and now Jesse is just as wonderful. I can't wait to see him again.

Kimberly said...

You guys did well. He looks sooooo cute and handsome. Maybe he will like Jane one day:) I'm happy to hear everything went so well and Marcy you are already feeling a lot better. I can't wait to see him.

Breona said...

I am so glad that you posted all of that. Even though it is the labor story, you probably get asked a million times how it went..so, blogging about it takes out a bunch.(including me) I have been meaning to call and chit chat it up about life with 2 kids. I'm not far off now. Congratulations non the less and hopefully we can come and see the little guy. Much love, Bre